Bathrooms are some of the most frequently used spaces in our homes, which is why it is important to curate a functional and aesthetically pleasing bathroom. A bathroom renovation can provide a significant upgrade to the look and feel of your home, but it is essential to approach the project with careful consideration and planning.
From plumbing outlets to the future needs of the home, there are several factors to consider before diving into a bathroom renovation project. This guide aims to provide valuable insights into important considerations and common mistakes to avoid, helping you to make informed decisions so that you may achieve your desired outcome. Whether you are renovating for yourself or for future resale value, this B&M guide will help you get started on the right foot.
Plumbing Outlets and Placement
When it comes to bathroom renovations, plumbing outlets and placement are essential factors that should not be overlooked. After all, plumbing outlets determine where your showers, baths, and other core fixtures will be placed. Therefore, before you start your renovation project, take the time to map out the location of plumbing outlets and consider how they will affect the placement of your fixtures.
To be sure, changing the location of outlets, later on, can be an expensive and time-consuming process, so it is always best to plan ahead. We recommend working around your existing plumbing outlets and using them to your advantage to save yourself money and unnecessary hassle in the long run.
Future Needs of the Home
Another key factor to consider when renovating your bathroom is the future needs of your home. Are you renovating with the intention of selling in the future, or are you planning to grow your family and wish to expand your current space? If you are renovating with the intention of selling, it is important to choose designs and fixtures that appeal to a wide range of buyers and have the potential to increase your home’s value.
On the other hand, if you are planning to stay in your home long-term, you have the freedom to focus on your personal preferences and needs. If you are welcoming a new addition to your family, you may want to consider adding additional storage space, a larger bathtub, or a double sink to accommodate everyone’s needs.
Naturally, it is also important to consider the durability of the materials you choose. Opting for high-quality and durable fixtures and finishes can save you money in the long run and ensure that your bathroom remains functional and stylish for many years to come. So, whether you are renovating for resale purposes or for your family’s future needs, it is important to carefully consider your choices and plan accordingly.
As you plan your bathroom renovation project, do not overlook the practical considerations. You want to create a space that not only looks great but also meets your functional needs. For example, proper ventilation is crucial to keeping your bathroom dry and prevent mould and mildew growth, therefore make sure you incorporate an effective ventilation system in your design.
Adequate storage space is another important consideration for keeping your bathroom organised and free of clutter. Think about what items you need to store, and plan for cabinets, shelves, and other storage solutions.
In addition to storage and ventilation, you also want to think about plug points and lighting fixtures. These should be placed in practical locations for maximum convenience and functionality. Consider installing plug points near the vanity , so you can use a hair dryer or electric razor without having to stretch cords across the bathroom.
Additionally, lighting is also crucial for both practical and aesthetic reasons. You want to make sure your bathroom is well-lit for tasks like applying makeup or shaving, whilst also having the right ambience for relaxation. Ultimately, by considering these practical factors during your bathroom renovation, you will be able to create a space that is both beautiful and functional.
Common Bathroom Renovation Mistakes to Avoid
For sure, renovating a bathroom can be an exciting and rewarding project, but it can also be daunting if you do not know where to start. Avoiding common mistakes can help you stay on track and achieve your desired outcome. Here are some common bathroom renovation mistakes to avoid:
- Underestimating the budget: Before starting your project, it is crucial to set a realistic budget that includes all expenses, including materials, labour, and any unexpected costs that may arise. Make sure to stick to your budget to avoid overspending and leaving the project unfinished.
- Focusing too much on current trends: Whilst it is tempting to follow the latest trends in bathroom design, it is best to consider timeless options that will remain stylish for years to come. Choose classic and versatile designs that can adapt to future changes in style and functionality.
- Not hiring professional help: Even though DIY projects can be fun and cost-effective, bathroom renovation is a complex process that requires professional expertise. Hiring a licensed contractor or designer can help you avoid costly mistakes and ensure that your renovation meets building codes and safety regulations.
- Lack of design planning: Design planning is a crucial part of any renovation project, especially when it comes to bathrooms. Failing to plan ahead can lead to inefficient layouts, inadequate storage, and other problems that may be difficult or expensive to fix later on. It is important to take the time to plan the design of your bathroom and consider your needs and preferences.
- Not planning for leaks and faults: Finally, plumbing is perhaps the most essential part of any bathroom renovation, and it is crucial to ensure that the water coming ‘in’ and ‘out’ is free from leaks or faults. A small leak can quickly become a big problem, causing damage to your bathroom and potentially even to the rest of your home. We recommend having a professional plumber inspect your plumbing system before starting the renovation project.
For more incredible tips and ideas, check out the B&M site or book an appointment to visit our showroom. Our dedicated team is always happy to assist you with anything you may need to make your house a unique home that is perfect for you.